What are potentially the Top 10 Things to Do This Summer in Central Alberta, Canada? Well, really there should be a list of about 100 things to do in Edmonton and the Metro surrounding area. Of course “metro” is a loose term since really the next biggest town with a population over 100,000 people is 2-hours away. So, really what I am saying is either spend time in Edmonton, or a take a drive somewhere within 2-hours of Edmonton and explore Central Alberta, Canada during the summer of 2017.
This is a quick list of 5-things you could potentially do in Edmonton this summer. Numbers 4 and 5, have been plastered throughout media advertisements, radio, web, and movie theatres! To ensure the good people of Canada, remember two things.
One, 2017 marks Canada’s 150th birthday celebration and Two, as part of the Celebration, Canada Parks is giving away FREE National Parks Passes. Yep, FREE! So, why not see a National Park this summer?
5. Drive to any Canadian National Park, enter with a FREE Canada Parks Pass and Celebrate Canada turning 150-years old in 2017
4. Spend some quality time outdoors at one of the hundreds of lakes around the Edmonton Metro area, enjoying the beach, jet skiing, boating, fishing, bird watching, paddle boarding, kayaking or beach reading
3. Go camping, whether it be backcountry pack-in/pack-out style or glam-camping, or car-camping or as many people do here in Alberta… RV-ing
2. With over 100 Festivals during the summer, it should be pretty easy to pick 5 festivals which you have never attended and go check them out in or around the Edmonton Metro Area
Dragon Boat Festival / Folk Festival / Latin Festival / Pride Festival / Street Performer’s Festival
1. Spend a Saturday morning exploring any of the fabulous Farmer’s Markets around the Edmonton Metro Area to pickup locally grown, farm fresh ingredients for your dining table
Callingwood Market / Downtown (104th Street) / French Quarter / Old Strathcona / St. Albert
It literally took me 5-minutes to come up with a list of 5-things to do this summer. Which is why I am totally excited to introduce to you…
10 Things to Do THIS Summer in Central Alberta Canada
- Go to Clarke Stadium and cheer-on the FC Edmonton Soccer Club!
- Catch the local CFL Edmonton Eskimos at Commonwealth Stadium
- See the monkey’s and lions at Edmonton Valley Zoo or step into the 1800’s at Fort Edmonton Park
- Attend any of the 150-years of CANADA DAY CELEBRATIONS on July 1
- Attend the International Street Performer’s Festival from July 7 to 16
- Enjoy collegiate summer baseball at the WMBL Edmonton Prospects June 2 to July 30
- Did someone say they are hungry? Then check out the Taste of Edmonton from July 20 to 29
- Give back to the Community and Volunteer at the International Folk Festival Aug 10 to 13
- Hang out along the river edge, to view the Edmonton Dragon Boat Festival from August 18 to 20
- Wrap up with a Concert under the stars by the Edmonton Orchestra Symphony Aug 31 & Sept 1
Whether you are enjoying the outdoors, strolling through a park, checking out a local Farmer’s Market, grabbing a bunch of niblets from a local Edmonton Food Truck, viewing sportsmanship and athleticism or just spending time with your family outside. Please remember to bring plenty of water, pack a snack or two for the kiddos, a tube of sunscreen, anyone’s medication and everyone’s favourite scent – bug spray. Also, please don’t leave Fido, Freddy or Wolfy in the car while you attend something “fun” this summer. Leave your pets at home unless your furry friends are welcome at the event which you are attending.
Be safe and enjoy the summer!