Pfizer-BioNTech; Are There Really Side Effects?

On Monday June 7th after receiving my first dose of protection from humanity in the form a vaccination shot into the upper left arm of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 happiness, I was one of the lucky people who received an additional 30-minutes in the room to sit and make sure I didn’t have an allergic reaction to the dose.

After all I am allergic to wasp stings!

According to the RN who administered said dose of happiness into my upper left arm, there is always potential for an allergic reaction and as long as I stayed close by for 30-minutes then I could be rescued by an Emergency Medical Responder who stood no less then 25-feet to my right.

In the afternoon, I returned home and sat down on the couch with my lunch. As I devoured my lunch due to hunger pains my body started to feel extremely weak and very tired. It hit me like a ton of bricks! Sort of like the morning after a long drinking binge with friends after you’ve reached maturity. You know what I’m talking about, right?!

Laying my head down on the couch I rolled over and began to doze in and out of consciousness. An hour or so later, I woke up in a sweat and walked into my home office to read through those after immunization side affects.

And there it was… the reason I was feeling dead tired, after my first dose.

  • redness, swelling, or feeling sore where you had the needle
  • feeling tired
  • headache
  • fever or chills
  • body aches or sore joints
  • feeling sick to your stomach (nausea), vomiting, or loose stool (diarrhea)
  • swollen lymph nodes

After returning to the family room I popped on a silly TV show and started watching it, laughing and trying to hold back whatever I had eaten earlier in the day. Soon my eyes began rapidly blinking and my head hit the couch with a thump as I drifted off to sleep once again.

Several hours later the wife called to inform she was headed home from work and asked how things were going? “Not well to tell you the truth. Its been a pretty shitty afternoon since the first jab. We can talk more about it when you get home,” I replied. Sounds good. See you soon.”

Shortly after this phone call I started to feel a bit better and noted the time: 8:15pm! Damn it! I’ve been cat napping for like six hours. I should go check my work emails and catch up.

Standing up, I headed into the kitchen for a refill of water then went back into the office. Setting down the water then opening up the laptop. I stood perplexed by the home page. Not bad, only 13 emails since this afternoon...

Eyes barely functioning I cranked on the tunes and began reading emails. About the time I finished reading the last email the wife walked in the front door. “Hey, I’m home! Where are you?”

In the office, just finishing up a couple of work emails.”

Closing the laptop I went back into the main room to greet her. She stopped looking at my tired face and whiter than normal skin tone. “You look like absolute shit!” she said with a smile. “I know. I slept most of the afternoon on the couch and just spent 45-minutes catching up on emails. I think I’ll be going to bed in the next half-hour,” I managed to say with a small smile.

Pleasantly on Tuesday morning I rose to the sounds of water splashing against a beach. As I rose my mouth felt chalky as I approached the bathroom. Then surprise surprise my lymph nodes had swollen overnight to the size of duck eggs and my head was pounding. A migraine? What the… as I popped the top off the Advil bottle and dumped two ibuprofen into my hand.

Advil down the hatch, I went for a glass of hot water mixed with lemon juice, fresh ginger, cayenne pepper and a dash of honey.

As I watched it cool down to a drinking temperature, I went back into the office to reread the “after immunization” paper again. And again, these were listed on the side affects sheet.

Next I pulled open the laptop and sent an email to our internal office COVID team, to inform them what was happening. In the email, I let them know I was feeling side affects for the 2nd day and was hopeful it would end by Noon, which would be 48 hours after my 1st dose.

The response came back favourable as the leader of the team informed they would prefer I work from home the rest of the week to ensure all is good before I reintegrate myself at the office.

Per the AHS form… if your side effects start within 24 hours… and go away within 48 hours… you do not have to keep isolating, unless you are instructed to do so.

Well then… I thought… I’ll just check my emails, grab something to eat and hang out on the couch. I’ll check in periodically until there is something more to complete.

With this plan in mind I headed for the couch, turned on a movie on Netflix and sipped on my warm beverage. About half way through the drink my head thumped the side of the couch arm as my eyes closed up and I fell asleep.

Awakening a few hours later the TV now silent and running through advertisements of other shows. I sat up looking around and wondering what had been going on at work as well as thinking about Round One with Pfizer-BioNTech and if this was really worth experiencing a second time?

The number one thing people have to remember about receiving the vaccination, is that it only protects the person who has received it. It does not protect the people around you.

R. Dyck

Well, at least I am now 80% defended against this rampaging virus!

The downside I have to wait 28 days before I can receive the other dose of Pfizer!

Of course my only hope is the second dose, will not knock me around for 48-hours in this unpredictable game called: Surprise Its Another Side Effect!